Monday, April 2, 2018

Taking Initiative

So, we're eating dinner tonight and the kid says to me, "Mom, you'll be so proud of me..." I'm thinking, "I'm always proud of you" but instead I quip, "Oh yeah? Why's that?"

"I'm using my journal to learn to write Japanese. There are three alphabets - I'm on the first one." He then goes into an explanation of each of the three alphabets for me and his father. After dinner, he shows us his journal. He is doing a great job so far even though, as he says, he is not good at drawing. (Side note: it irritates me that someone said that to him. I don't want to assume it was a teacher but I have little faith that it wasn't.) His dad asks if he'd rather have ruled paper and he says he would. He also asks if I have a clipboard. I'm trying not to jump for joy at this point (paper and a clipboard... for the kid who does his math homework in Paint. In. Paint. With his mouse. You see where I'm coming from?).

I bring him the clipboard and the notebook paper and he tells me he's now working on something different (he spent the afternoon on Japanese). In the video game he just taught me how to play there is a dragon language which he wants to learn. Best part of that language is for every letter of our alphabet is a corresponding letter in Dragon. A bit easier than Japanese.

When I left him just now he was learning how to write his name in Dragon. I told him that once he got to a point where he was comfortable, I could teach him how to write it all in calligraphy. He seemed pretty excited about that. Imagine that... Excited about writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment