Sunday, August 30, 2015

So far, so good

Hmm, hope I didn't just jinx myself with that bold statement.

Yes, we've have some bumps in the road but I think, overall, it's going well. The beauty of homeschooling is that it's flexible. On the other hand, that also makes it difficult.

What??

Yes, it's wonderful to have a flexible schedule. I don't have to rush home every Friday to give a spelling test. If I want to give it the following Monday because we have stuff going on, that's fine. But (ah, the but), it's hard to get out of the structured frame of mind. I blame public school. :)

There needs to be structure. I work full time but he's old enough to manage himself and he does. He starts school around the same time every day and is done around the same time every day (I can see what he's doing on the portal of the program I picked for him. I can also tell how many minutes he spent on a assignment, test, etc.). The goal is to keep him on this schedule during the week and when it's necessary, to work on school work at night or on the weekends. This might prove to be a fight but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The part that is not good? The psychologist. Since my son attended the anxiety program he sees a psychologist to help him deal with the social anxiety he has. As you can imagine, homeschooling is not an option he agrees with. I like the doctor and so does my son but I feel like my parenting is being questioned by offering the homeschooling.

To reiterate - I suggested homeschooling to my son in January of this year because he was having trouble with his asthma and I thought it would be better for his health to be in a controlled temp environment for a year to see how it went. This was before he was diagnosed with the social anxiety.

Truth be told, I am not liking where the school curriculum is going and that was also part of my decision to homeschool him.

I agree that he needs to be able to walk into an unfamiliar situation and deal with it but I'm positive we can achieve that while giving him the best education possible.

I'm loving homeschooling so far! I wish I had chose to do this when my oldest was in middle school.

No comments:

Post a Comment