Saturday, September 5, 2015

Getting closer

After three full weeks of school, we're still trying to figure out our way. I'm not surprised though. I read a ton on homeschooling. I have books with links to other books. I subscribe to websites on homeschooling. I even found some (one article) information on homeschooling while working full time (yep, it's official - I'm crazy!).

Reading is nothing like doing.

Remember reading the book, What to Expect When You're Expecting? Yes, it was helpful but it wasn't anything compared to actually experiencing it. I read that book early on in my pregnancy when the things that were going to happen to my body hadn't happened yet. A book is nice. It's nice to have that edge but you still need to adjust once it actually happens. Plus, everyone is different so not everything in the book happened to me. That's nerve-wracking. Did I miss it? Is it supposed to happen? Will it happen later? ACK!

We're still adjusting and that's fine. I still like homeschool. I get to utilize my organizational skills and it's nice to have something that I have to do besides work.

I know what you're thinking. Why would you need anything else to do besides work?

Well, let me enlighten you. I'm a very organized person. At work, I know what I need to do and I tackle it head on. I've been struggling a bit with my sense of purpose at my job (another post perhaps) but I have a daily plan and it all gets done.

At home, I just want to sit and watch Castle on TNT.

I mean, I've been working all day and despite what my father thought, I do work every day. It's mentally and emotionally challenging and I'm tired when I get home. I have a bachelor's degree in psychology. I use it every day. Every. Day. Best money my parents ever spent.

Obviously, I have purpose when I come home. I have to clean, do laundry, etc. but if I don't do any of that, nothing happens except my house is a bit dusty, you might have to wash a glass or a dish before you eat and we have to wear those rarely worn clothes (you know, the ones you don't really like but keep in case you haven't done laundry yet and need something to wear).

So my house is messy, so what? I have a sign in my entry way with my disclaimer, "My house was clean last week. Sorry you missed it." :) My husband does all the cooking (yes, I hit the jackpot there) and the kids can clean if I need help. My husband cleans and does laundry too. Everyone pitches in. If I don't do my homeschooling job, my child suffers. That's a BIG motivator to get off the couch and get something done.


No comments:

Post a Comment