Thursday, November 17, 2016

I'm a Homeschool Reference!

  A friend of mine asked me about homeschooling about a month ago (what program do you use, how to track grades, how many hours do they work on schoolwork, etc.) and I was delighted to share my experience!

  Seems their child is going through some of what my youngest went through including attending the same hospital program. Their saving grace is that this is happening early in the school year and they have me. =)

  I gave advice (solicited for once!) on the program I use and how I ran things for 8th grade and how I am running things for 9th. It was fun to talk about it but also a little nerve-wracking... I take homeschooling seriously but I did not want to give the impression that the way I am doing it is the only way. And, the first year, I gave A LOT of leeway to my son and I have a feeling it came off as me being too easy on him. More importantly, I did not want them to think that just because it is working for us that it will work for them.

  I absolutely hope it does work for them. There are many special circumstances in their situation which I do not have in mine so the program I am using would be the easiest for them to implement with everything they have going on; BUT, homeschooling is fluid (as I was reminded by my homeschool reference) and you have to be OK with changing things that are not working for you or your child.

  I wish them the best and hope they can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment