Saturday, December 3, 2016

Learning vs Memorizing

  Over the summer my youngest and I had to go to my mom's to help her with something. Some creosote oil my dad had in the garage had corroded the can it was sitting in and leaked all over a dolly and got on her floor. I know, big deal, it's on the floor, it's the garage, who cares? Well, her floor had been surfaced earlier this year with a non-stick coating (to make it safer for her in the winter time when the concrete sweats and is slippery) and she was worried about the finish. Frankly, so was I.

  As we were on our way over, I was explaining to my son what happened.

  S: "Why does Grandma even have that? It's not like she has any railroad ties at the house."

  Me: "How do you know what creosote oil is for?"

  S: "Well Mom, that's the funny thing about homeschooling. I actually learn stuff."

  Well, who da thunk it? He learned something. Imagine that! He went on to talk about how all he did in public school was memorize stuff for tests only to forget it so he could memorize different stuff for the next test. I smiled the whole time he talked. I couldn't help it! My choice to homeschool had been validated!

  I have always said public education is education for the masses. As a parent, it is my responsibility to educate my child as best I can. If you do not believe what your child is learning in school is enough, then either supplement it or put him in private school. And even private school is not guaranteed to be a great education so your best bet is to supplement in my opinion. Not everyone can afford Sylvan or Kumon which is fine - go to the library. Find a book on something your child likes and do a whole unit on it. Draw it. Write about it. Talk about it. Since my kids got good grades in school, I assumed they were learning what they needed but summers were another story. Some summers we went to the library and checked out books to read. I didn't make them do any work, just read and they both like to read so it was not a struggle. One summer they both did workbooks. They hated it. Guaranteed neither of them retained any of that information.

  Teachers are not meant to teach your child everything but so many parents expect them to. Talk to a teacher but ask them to be honest with their answers because if you don't, you will hear a bunch of I love what I do. I love the kids. It's so rewarding. I get summers off! If you ask for the truth, you will find that parents are the hardest part of their job and while I'm sure it has, to some extent, always been this way, it seems like it is much worse today.

  I am happy my youngest is retaining information he has learned. Has he learned it all from this homeschooling program? No. Some he has learned from his brother and some he has actually learned from the video games he plays. Proud gamer mom right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment